King Edward Memorial Hospital
Genetic Services of Western Australia
General Paediatric Services – Referral Guidelines
As a general rule, children who would benefit from a referral to our service would fit into one of the
- There are unexplained congenital anomalies (please review strict referral guidelines for cleft lip and
- The child has features suggestive of a specific genetic disorder (dysmorphic features)
- There are unexplained childhood disabilities affecting
- hearing (please review strict referral guidelines)
- vision and/or;
- intellectual development
- The child has Autism Spectrum Disorder (please review strict referral guidelines)
- There is evidence of unexplained growth patterns
- There is a known family history of a genetic disorder
- The family or carers require counselling following a genetic diagnosis in a child (relating to adjustment
and coping, talking with children/family/friends/school, pregnancy planning and decision-making)
- The child is identified as carrier of cystic fibrosis through the newborn screening test (reflex referral)
Should you have any queries regarding your patient and their suitability for referral to our service, please
do not hesitate to contact the duty genetic counsellor to discuss. You can get in touch on 6458 1625.
Our referral form is specifically designed to assist you in making your referral as streamlined as possible.
The more information you are able to provide, the easier and quicker the process is for your patient.