Frequently Asked Questions

I need medical advice. What can I do?

For general medical advice it is best to contact your GP. If required, your GP will prepare a referral for further treatment at King Edward Memorial Hospital. For general health information and advice you can also contact Health Direct on 1800 022 222.

If you are in need of urgent medical advice or assistance visit your closest hospital Emergency Department. King Edward Memorial Hospital has an emergency department. If you have an urgent gynaecological or pregnancy related medical condition you can come to our Emergency Centre. In a life threatening emergency you should call 000.

More information is found here:

How do I access my medical records or other hospital records?

If you would like to access any kind of hospital records you need to submit an Information Request Form. Further information about this process and the relevant form and contact details are found here:

Can I use my Private Health Insurance at your hospital? How do I find out more?

Yes, absolutely and there are no out-of-pocket expenses!  In fact, by using your private health insurance you are helping King Edward Memorial Hospital.  You can find out more at the following link or please call our Private Patient Liaison Officer on 6458 1066 if you have any specific questions:

I am interested in a job / work experience / placement / internship at your hospital. How can I apply?

King Edward Memorial Hospital advertises job vacancies on the WA Government Jos Board. We do not accept applications outside of a formal recruitment process.

As a specialised tertiary institute we do not offer internships.

We do provide undergraduate nursing and midwifery placements as well as concurrent employment as a postgraduate midwifery or neonatal intensive care nursing student in collaboration with several Western Australia universities. See the Graduate Nursing and Midwifery page on the WA Health website for more information.

How do I follow up on a referral for hospital services?

Referrals for services at King Edward Memorial Hospital should be sourced from a GP or Health Provider. Once received it usually takes approximately one week for a referral to be processed, after which a letter will be posted to both the patient and the referring GP with details about an appointment or further information about wait times.

If you have been waiting longer than two weeks and would like to follow up on the status of your referral please contact Outpatient Direct on 1300 855 275 from Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm.

How do I update my contact details or make changes to a clinic appointment?

You can contact Outpatient Direct on 1300 855 275 from Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm to:

  • cancel outpatient appointments
  • reschedule outpatient appointments
  • update contact details such as postal address, phone numbers
  • general information regarding your outpatient appointments
  • check the status of a referral.
I am pregnant or have another medical issue that I would like to be seen about at your hospital. What do I do?

If you would like to be seen at KEMH for a medical issue or pregnancy care, please see your GP for a referral.

I am not an Australian resident. What do I need to know about accessing services at King Edward Memorial Hospital?

You can still access services at King Edward Memorial Hospital if you are not an Australian resident. Overseas visitors holding a valid visa and who are a resident of Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) country are only covered for:

  • Ill health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires necessary treatment before returning to your home country.

As an overseas visitor, you will be required to pay for your treatment if you are unable to provide us with:

  • A valid Medicare card or
  • Evidence of your eligibility under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) with Australia or
  • Evidence of your refuge/asylum seeker status.